(Last updated 4 December 2017)
Find out more about cyber security research and teaching activities at Heriot-Watt University. In case you’re interested in joining our team to study for a PhD, or for an MSc Network Security degree, please contact me.
Students interested in doing a PhD with me should first consult the information about me on this site, and contact me with a description of your research interests. You can also look at my list of PhD opportunities.
My general research interests include applied cryptography, computer and network security, and usable security and privacy.
- Tin Tironsakkul (PhD student): “Cryptocurrencies and small businesses”
Supervisors: Manuel Maarek, Mike Just, Andrea Eross
- Filip Bartoszewski (PhD student): “Data-driven security”
Supervisors: Mike Just, Michael Lones
- Salih Ismail (PhD student): “Security and privacy of cloud computing”
Supervisors: Hani Ragab, Mike Just, Hind Zantout
- Katie Watson (PhD student): “Secure and usable payment systems for mobile devices”
Supervisors: Lynne Baillie, Mike Just, Jacki O’Neill (Microsoft Research)
- Esma Lounes (PhD student): “Behaviour-based malware detection with machine learning”
Supervisors: Mike Just, Nick Taylor
- Dr. Muhammad Adnan. Currently RF at University of Leeds, working with Roy Ruddle.
PhD topic: “Improving the work practices of network security professionals by developing a usable visual analytics tool”
PhD supervisors (2013-2016): Mike Just, Lynne Baillie
Dr. Ahmed Saeed. Currently Assistant Professor at COMSATS Institue of Information Technology, Lahore.
PhD topic: “Security-aware communication in multi-core architectures”
PhD supervisors (2013-2016): Ali Ahmadinia, Mike Just.
- Dr. Nicholas Micallef. Currently Postdoc at Australian Centre for Cyber Security.
PhD topic: “Evaluating the usability of ambient profiles for context-sensitive authentication on smartphones”
PhD supervisors (2011-2015): Mike Just, Lynne Baillie and Gunes Kayacik
- Dr. Gunes Kayacik. Currently Research Scientist at Aruba Networks.
Research topic: “Active Behaviour Demands Active Security: New Approaches to Mobile Device Security”
Supervisors of Marie Curie Fellowship (2012-2014): Mike Just, Lynne Baillie, David Aspinall