(Last updated 14 Feb 2019)
Find out more about cyber security research and teaching activities at Heriot-Watt University. In case you’re interested in joining our team to study for a PhD, or for an MSc Network Security degree, please contact me.
Students interested in doing a PhD with me should first consult the information about me on this site, and contact me with a description of your research interests. You can also look at my list of PhD opportunities.
My general research interests include applied cryptography, computer and network security, and usable security and privacy.
Current researchers (PhD students, unless otherwise noted):
- Kirsty Macmillan: Online safety and autism
Supervisors: Tessa Berg, Mike Just
- Kayvan Karim: Machine learning and network security
Supervisors: Hani Ragab, Mike Just, Mohammad Hamdan
- Tin Tironsakkul: Blockchain and cryptocurrencies
Supervisors: Manuel Maarek, Mike Just, Andrea Eross
- Filip Bartoszewski: Machine learning and perimeter security
Supervisors: Mike Just, Michael Lones
- Salih Ismail: Cloud computing security
Supervisors: Hani Ragab, Mike Just, Hind Zantout
- Katie Watson: Mobile app privacy
Supervisors: Mike Just, Tessa Berg
- Esma Lounes: Machine learning and malware
Supervisors: Mike Just, Nick Taylor
- Dr. Muhammad Adnan. Currently RF at University of Leeds, working with Roy Ruddle.
PhD topic: “Improving the work practices of network security professionals by developing a usable visual analytics tool”
PhD supervisors (2013-2016): Mike Just, Lynne Baillie
Dr. Ahmed Saeed. Currently Research Associate at Ulster University.
PhD topic: “Security-aware communication in multi-core architectures”
PhD supervisors (2013-2016): Ali Ahmadinia, Mike Just.
- Dr. Nicholas Micallef. Currently Postdoc at Australian Centre for Cyber Security.
PhD topic: “Evaluating the usability of ambient profiles for context-sensitive authentication on smartphones”
PhD supervisors (2011-2015): Mike Just, Lynne Baillie and Gunes Kayacik
- Dr. Gunes Kayacik. Currently Research Scientist at Aruba Networks.
Research topic: “Active Behaviour Demands Active Security: New Approaches to Mobile Device Security”
Supervisors of Marie Curie Fellowship (2012-2014): Mike Just, Lynne Baillie, David Aspinall