(Last updated 21 Dec 2021)
Find out more about cyber security research and teaching activities at Heriot-Watt University. In case you’re interested in joining our team to study for a PhD, or for an MSc Network Security degree, please contact me.
Students interested in doing a PhD with me should first consult the information about me on this site, and contact me with a description of your research interests. You can also look at my list of PhD opportunities.
My general research interests include applied cryptography, computer and network security, and usable security and privacy.
Current researchers (PhD students, unless otherwise noted):
- Kahraman Kostas: Behaviour Based Security with Machine Learning on IoT Networks
Supervisors: Mike Just, Michael Lones
- Kirsty Macmillan: Online safety and autism
Supervisors: Tessa Berg, Mike Just
- Tin Tironsakkul: Blockchain and cryptocurrencies
Supervisors: Manuel Maarek, Mike Just, Andrea Eross
- Salih Ismail: Cloud computing security
Supervisors: Hani Ragab, Mike Just, Hind Zantout
- Esma Lounes: Machine learning and malware
Supervisors: Mike Just, Nick Taylor
- Dr. Filip Bartoszewski. Currently at NatWest/RBS.
PhD topic: “Machine learning and anomaly detection for insider threat detection”
PhD supervisors (2017-2021): Mike Just, Michael Lones
- Dr. Katie Watson. Currently user researcher at UK Cabinet Office.
PhD topic: “Novel, Comic-Based Approach to Smartphone Permission Requests”
PhD supervisors (2017-2021): Mike Just, Tessa Berg
- Dr. Muhammad Adnan. Currently at Higher Colleges of Technology, UAE.
PhD topic: “Improving the work practices of network security professionals by developing a usable visual analytics tool”
PhD supervisors (2013-2016): Mike Just, Lynne Baillie
- Dr. Ahmed Saeed. Currently Lecturer at University of Manchester.
PhD topic: “Security-aware communication in multi-core architectures”
PhD supervisors (2013-2016): Ali Ahmadinia, Mike Just.
- Dr. Nicholas Micallef. Currently Researcher at NYU Abu Dhabi.
PhD topic: “Evaluating the usability of ambient profiles for context-sensitive authentication on smartphones”
PhD supervisors (2011-2015): Mike Just, Lynne Baillie and Gunes Kayacik
- Dr. Gunes Kayacik. Currently Staff Data Scientist at Okta.
Research topic: “Active Behaviour Demands Active Security: New Approaches to Mobile Device Security”
Supervisors of Marie Curie Fellowship (2012-2014): Mike Just, Lynne Baillie, David Aspinall